The newspaper, originally called 'The Northants Post' was founded in 1975 by a company managed by businessman and journalist Tony Boullemier who worked for the Daily Express where he was chief sub-editor. Boullemier was born in Newcastle and originally trained on news and sport with the Newcastle Journal.
Boullemier and his partners, his wife Marie, Ben Clingain, Richard Pinkham and for the early years, Richard Meredith, expanded the operation into a group of 16 papers and magazines circulating nearly 400,000 copies a week throughout the east Midlands, before selling the titles to Thomson Regional Newspapers.
The group was later sold to Trinity Mirror. However, in 2008 Trinity Mirror carried out a shakeup of its UK Midlands operations seeking job cuts and integration. Trinity decided it would either close the title or sell it. Eventually it was acquired by LSN Media Ltd in 2008 (LSN standing for Local Sunday Newspapers). LSN Media publish 13 newspapers across three counties, most of them in Northamptonshire and Bedfordshire.
Iliffe News & Media Ltd are the owners of LSN which was acquired in August 2005. Iliffe News & Media are in turn part of the family-owned Yattendon Group, which publishes three daily and nearly 30 weekly paid-for and freesheet newspapers across eastern and central England, notably the Cambridge News, the Burton Mail and the Hertfordshire Mercury series.
The company dates back to 1840 and was originally a ribbonmakers. The paper's offices were originally in Derngate, Northampton, until 2012, when they were relocated to Lakeside, an office park off the Bedford Road on the eastern outskirts of the town.
In January 2013 The Northampton Herald and Post became part of Localworld, which subsequently sold out to Trinity Mirror. In January 2014 its name was changed to The Northants Herald and Post. On 1 December 2016 Trinity Mirror closed the title down.
The Northants Post now lives on as 'The Northants Property Post' Northamptonshire's county-wide property news publication.